As I’ve previously mentioned, about two months ago I started taking time every single day to be mindful of what I am grateful for. Since life is crazy and this could be something I might otherwise forget in the daily hustle and bustle, I’ve made it a point to make this a recurring item on my To-Do list app on my smart phone. After two months of taking time to do this every day, I really do feel a change in my mindset. I am now more likely to spontaneously think of things I am grateful for, even outside of the time when I am checking items off my list. The bonus is that this habit has helped me realize that I really do have a lot to be thankful for!
Here are some of the things that I am thankful for this year:
1) A wonderful husband who is always supportive and loving and tolerates me
2) A nice warm house to live in
3) Two sweet little doggies who help keep my lap warm when I am cold!
4) Enough money to pay all our bills and still save a lot
5) The cozy extra blanket that we put on our bed in the fall when it starts to get cold
6) The fact that our house did not explode this week!
7) A special trip to Starbucks for a peppermint mocha with my mom over Thanksgiving weekend
8) Warm sunshine on an otherwise cold late autumn afternoon
9) Watching Christmas movies and eating popcorn in front of a cozy fire
10) My thirteen year-old car, which has a lot of miles but still runs great!
11) Healthy food abundantly available in the grocery store (located 2 blocks away- bonus!)
12) All the nice folks at the really great church we’re joining
13) Wonderful people at the adoption agency we’re working with- hopefully our day will be soon!
14) An awesome community of PF bloggers who have welcomed me and provided advice & support
15) The anticipation of the kickass snowmobile trip that the hubs and I have planned for New Years
16) A steadily improving Alexa rank- Whoopee!
17) Amazon Prime- totally love it!
18) Watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation with family – a favorite holiday tradition
19) The warm and cozy fleece-lined slippers that hubby got me for a gift last Christmas
20) A safe neighborhood for our family to live in
22) Licky kisses and tail wags from my dogs
23) Saturday night Suze Orman show dates with my hubby
24) Good dental insurance and a good dentist
25) A good cup of coffee in the morning
26) A nice hot shower after a hard workout (and every day!)
27) Watching kids excitedly pick out a Christmas tree at the store
28) Having a washer and dryer in our home. I do not miss the days of laundromats. At. All.
29) Family and friends who are supportive of our adoption journey
30) A dear friend who actually ASKED if she could write us a recommendation letter for adoption
31) The fact that Mr. CMF has discovered that he loves baking Christmas cookies- seriously!!!!
32) A totally awesome Indian restaurant in our town (which is otherwise a chain restaurant hub)
33) A membership at a great gym two blocks away from our house- we love it and it’s so convenient
34) The thrill I get when a “Big Blogger” stops by and leaves a comment. On my little blog.
35) The fact that my work commute shrunk from 30 minutes to 5 minutes when we moved last year
36) The show Shark Tank. I am so entertained by that show (and envious of all the great ideas!)
37) Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses- my guilty pleasure
38) www.Bloglovin.com – I totally love that site & it’s making it easy to keep up with other blogs
39) The first snow of the winter-so much fun to see (not so much after it’s been around for months)
40) Warm waterproof winter boots
41) The fact that I got to live in a big city for a few years- oh how I miss the food
42) A cup of hot tea and chicken noodle soup when I am sick
43) Jobs that have allowed us to save a significant amount for retirement so far
44) The fact that my hubby often makes me omelettes for breakfast (yes I am spoiled!!!)
45) The fact that we have insurance- life, disability, health, auto, homeowner’s- just in case
46) The abundance of great online retailers, which saves on trips to stores
47) A bookshelf full of great personal finance books to continuously motivate me
48) Life experiences that have made me more compassionate
49) Our big dreams that constantly give us something to strive for and ensure lack of complacency
50) The fact that you can have an idea to start a blog, read a blog post about how to do it, follow the instructions to the letter, and less than a month later- you’re a blogger!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope that you all have as much to be thankful for as I do!
Photo credit: Cindi Albright @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/rustiqueart/